Wood County, Wisconsin
Wood County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
Start Over with Job Search
Truck Operator - LTE
Highway Dept WR
Seasonal/Limited Term Employee (LTE)
Deadline to apply:
$20.36 / hr
The Limited Term Employment (LTE) Truck Operator's primary duties are to operate an assigned truck in a safe manner while transporting construction materials (such as gravel, sand, asphalt, dirt, etc.) to or from job sites. As assigned, the LTE maintains the roadways, shoulders and signs on Wood County and State highways.
A. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. On a daily basis, conduct a pre-trip inspection as outlined in the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to include but not limited to, inspect all signal lights, check tires for proper air pressure, hoses, check backup horn and all other safety equipment, etc. Maintain truck by greasing, oil changes, wash windows and lights so they are visible.
2. Drive to pits or quarries to obtain loads. Maintain a position in line and stay in line while waiting for load.
3. When truck is being loaded, monitor loading procedures. Ensure that the load is distributed evenly on axles, meeting legal requirements.
4. Determine destination and follow routes laid out for project.
5. Transport loads in a safe, responsible manner. Drive at legal speeds, obey all traffic laws, and deliver loads on time.
6. Plow and salt and shovel snow from roads and bridges, keeping them in safe driving condition.
7. Perform manual labor tasks such as shoveling, lifting, or sweeping associated with highway maintenance and construction work.
8. Responsible to know and practice the Safety policies of the County. Perform all job tasks in a safe and prescribed manner.
B. OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Participate in other jobs at the work site when not in the truck.
2. Any other duties as may be assigned.
Highway Commissioner, Highway Superintendents, Certified Engineer or Lead Persons.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, QUALIFICATIONS
High school education is required. Must be 18 years of age. Possession of, and maintained while employed with Wood County Highway Department, a valid Wisconsin Commercial Drivers License (CDL), Class B. Possession of a safe driving record and the ability to maintain one while employed by Wood County. Demonstrated ability to drive dump trucks required. Experience in highway operations is helpful. Candidates must possess basic everyday living skills, the ability to understand and follow directions (understand road routes to get to work site; read and obey all traffic laws), the ability to read and write, add and subtract (accurately complete daily time sheets; read road signs, summary of jobs completed). A pre-employment drug screen will be administered if selected as a final candidate.
Ability to use the following equipment: Basic hand tools - hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, saws, sanders, chainsaws, shovels and brooms, etc.. Highway construction equipment - dump truck, air hammer, snow plow, loader, mower, etc.. Personal protective equipment used: breathing apparatus and dust mask, steel tip boots and hearing and eye protection, hardhat and safety vest. Skill in applying general first aid equipment is useful.